Monday, November 24, 2014

Avoiding the Noise

So it's been awhile since I posted anything here at all. And I don't really have a good excuse. I've been busy, sure, but not too busy to write. I've had things to write about like our super-fun, romantic cruise to the Caribbean in October (it was a complete BLAST) or my parents fun-filled visit in November where we celebrated Thanksgivng a little early (complete with a big Turkey, all the sides, and Pecan Pie) or even the latest big city drama where a police officer shows up at our apartment as I am headed out to work to inform me that due to a domestic dispute our car, along with a few others, had the tires slashed that morning. Really?

So it's not that I haven't had fuel to write about... It's more like I haven't had anything to say.

In this culture we live in EVERYONE seems to have something to say. In blogs, Facebook posts, angry comments, news articles, magazine headlines, YouTube videos, Tweets, SnapChat and Instagram messages. #exhausting

Around here in the DC-Metro traffic folks love to talk with their horns. And road rage has a life of its own.

I was born a talker. I get it from my Dad. But really everyone in my family can hold their own in the talking department. No slouches here! My husband often comments, "You just have SO many words to say!" Or he likens me to Anne of Green Gables (a childhood favorite) with her dramatic prose and rich vocabulary. So, NOT having something to say has never really been a problem of mine. I tend to think as I talk (fast), which has gotten me into trouble more than once.

But I've been processing our move and all the life changes around us. Missing friends and our beautiful church home. Settling into a new routine and a new job. And I've been quiet. Soul quiet.

And that is ok.

Because in our modern, high-tech world there is noise everywhere. And sometimes you must be quiet to even hear you own thoughts. To hear from God. To hear a new song, a new calling.

And sometimes you need to be quiet just to avoid adding to the noise. There is a lot of unrest, a lot of anger, and whole lot of opinions out there. In my quiet season I've been going through, I am learning to ask myself this simple question, "will what I have to say enhance, improve, or make better this conversation, this person, or this day?"

And if I can't answer that with a confident "YES" - I am giving myself the freedom to be quiet.

If I really believed that my words had the power to speak life and love and joy and peace to those around me. And reversely, the power to speak anger, hate, discouragement, and unrest. I would choose my words much more carefully.

And I would be quiet more often.



3 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful attitutude, voice, Spirit, and a beautiful face. I miss our conversations, dinners, and all around hangout time. You are loved / cherished more then you know. But good job at this point in your life being quiet can be a good thing.

    Better to hear the quiet words of a wise person than the shouts of a foolish king
    ◄ Ecclesiastes 9:17 ►

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one of those damn talkers in your life love you sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Bryan - what a sweet, kind comment. I am so very blessed to call you brother and friend. I miss our Castle Mondays, sushi dates, and late night conversations. More then I can say.
      That verse is exactly how I was thinking! :) I love you so much. Keep on talking bud, you are one of those with something worthwhile to say.

      Delete