Saturday, September 27, 2014

Birds, planes, and money: or things that fly

We just moved here to the the DC area at the beginning of September and for the most part we have loved it. We love the crisp fall weather, the restaurant selections, the museums, the metro, the hustle and bustle of a big city, the shops and amenities, etc. Our apartment is fantastic, I mean it's really great, complete with a dog park that Miss Dixie and I enjoy every day. And we are in a very convenient location which makes the commute pretty bearable. We both have great jobs and Diego (my handsome husband) is LOVING his in particular!

BUT... The cost of living is ridiculous! And I do mean - crazy expensive. Unreal. Our housing cost to income ratio is enough to make Dave Ramsey cry, maybe even bawl.

So we moved here with some expectations of budget ideas, future plans, and financial goals and I imagine, all the while, God was smiling at our ignorance. It's not that we thought we would be self-sufficient or independent from God's provision or become financially secure overnight... But we did think things would be different. So it's an adjustment. A realigning of God's perspective and ours. Honestly, it's a check in my spirit to remind myself not to put my security in a salary or an income or a savings account or a bank statement.

Why?

Because money has wings.

"Don't wear yourself out to get rich; stop giving your attention to it. As soon as your eyes fly to it, it disappears, for it makes wings for itself and flies like an eagle to the sky." Proverbs 23:4-5

Now that's a word picture for you. And yes, I relate to it because that is exactly what we are experiencing - our paycheck flying away. New license plates, tags, titles and taxes (Maryland has this lovely rule of charging back taxes for newer vehicles purchased in another state... Yes, apparently they can do that - so here's to paying taxes on the same vehicle twice!) and then there is rent (ouch!) and groceries and utilities and more taxes. And then on Wednesday we come home to our apartment to find that our dog Dixie was "redesigning" the  living room vertical blinds. I did mention we are renting, right? Money has wings. And every time we turned around this week we saw it fly away: car repairs, bills, and insurance deductibles.



It can't be trusted. I can't put my security in it. It will not last.

My hope must be in The Lord. And my security in His immeasurable goodness. I will depend on His faithfulness that has endured for ages and will continue to endure for time beyond time. And in the day to day I will stay exactly where I need to be... Humble. Thankful. Grateful. Dependent.

2 comments:

  1. You are right money does fly right out the window I have learned that. God will provide I have complete faith in that. Will continue to pray for you guys love you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan! I know you've lived thus lesson yourself many times and God always comes through. Thanks for praying for us - you guys are in our prayers too. Love you!

      Delete